Top 10 Greatest Film Speeches and Monologues

02/18/07

1. Robert Duvall, Apocalypse Now (1979): You smell that? Do you smell that? Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

2. Jack Nicholson, A Few Good Men (1992): You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, lieutenant Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago, and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know - that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives.

3. Marlon Brando, On The Waterfront (1954): Remember that night in the Garden? You came down to my dressing room and you said 'kid, this ain't your night. We're going for the price on Wilson'... You was my brother, Charlie. You shoulda looked out for me a little bit so I wouldn't have to take them dives for the short-end money. I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum. Which is what I am. Let's face it.

4. Samuel L Jackson, Pulp Fiction (1994): The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.

5. Michael Douglas, Wall Street (1987): The point is, ladies and gentleman, is that greed - for lack of a better word - is good. Greed is right. Greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms - greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge - has marked the upward surge of mankind. And Greed - you mark my words - will not only save Teldar Paper but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA.

6. Peter Finch, Network (1976): I don't have to tell you things are bad. Everybody knows things are bad. It's a depression. Everybody's out of work or scared of losing their job. The dollar buys a nickel's worth; banks are going bust; shopkeepers keep a gun under the counter; punks are running wild in the streets, and there's nobody anywhere who seems to know what to do, and there's no end to it.

7. Ewan McGregor, Trainspotting (1996): Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family, Choose a big television, Choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players, and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol and dental insurance. Choose fixed-interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends... Choose your future. Choose life.

8. Clint Eastwood, Dirty Harry (1971): I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?

9. Richard E Grant, Withnail and I (1987): . What a piece of work is a man, how noble in reason, how infinite in faculties, how like an angel in apprehension, how like a God! The beauty of the world, paragon of animals; and yet to me, what is this quintessence of dusk. Man delights not me, no, nor women neither, nor women neither.

10. Mel Gibson, Braveheart (1995): You have come to fight as free men, and free men you are. What will you do with that freedom? Will you fight? Aye, fight and you may die, run and you'll live. At least a while. And dying in your beds many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance, just one chance to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our freedom!

For more information, visit http://www.filmsite.org/bestspeeches.html

My personal favorite is from Good Will Hunting

Related Posts:
- Did you mean: One feature I don't want from Google Phone
- So You Think Your Home is Safe? Think again!
- The top 40 Greatest Conference Speeches and Keynotes
- Digg Effect is a drug
- Web 2.0 Spy

122 comments so far.

1. 23 Şubat 2007 19:01 tarihinde, jr demiş ki:

Thank you I really enjoyed viewing this site during my lunch break.

2. 28 Şubat 2007 2:48 tarihinde, Pherfer demiş ki:

So there are no women in films?????? You seem to have a bit of a bias. How about some of those powerful female voices??

3. 28 Şubat 2007 3:08 tarihinde, PT demiş ki:

Almost all of your list are (a) from Hollywood movies (b) about war or (c) about interpersonal violence. Please broaden your selection of films! You're nowhere near finding the 10 greatest film speeches and monologues!

4. 28 Şubat 2007 3:16 tarihinde, FW demiş ki:

What about James Earl Jones in "Field of Dreams?"

"People will come Ray..."

5. 28 Şubat 2007 11:16 tarihinde, d demiş ki:

What about Kevin's declaration in Bull Durham?

6. 28 Şubat 2007 13:35 tarihinde, Wayne demiş ki:

You forgot Michael Douglas as the President in "The American President" (with Annette Benning), when he finally answered all the charges of his opponent in the upcoming election (played by Richard Dreyfuss). That was a fine speech about Freedom and what it means. Almost as good as Jack Nicholson in A Few Good Men.

7. 28 Şubat 2007 16:31 tarihinde, mickey demiş ki:

How is Al Pacino's: Scent of a Woman's speach not on here?

8. 28 Şubat 2007 18:40 tarihinde, Nick demiş ki:

What about Cameron Frye's monologue about his father in Ferris Bueller's Day Off?

9. 28 Şubat 2007 18:31 tarihinde, MadamePresident demiş ki:

Lists like this are fun, but its all a matter of opinion.

I have a suggestion for the next list. The top "epiphany moments" in movies that don't use words at all.

10. 28 Şubat 2007 18:01 tarihinde, JJ demiş ki:

What? No George C. Scott at the beginning of "Patton"???

11. 28 Şubat 2007 19:33 tarihinde, chuck demiş ki:

Coach Carter - Samuel L. Jackson kept asking his players - "What is your greatest fear?" When Cruz finally answers - WOW!

12. 28 Şubat 2007 21:47 tarihinde, Frenchy demiş ki:

Are you kidding?

Belushi in "Animal House" is a classic of pop culture and American Comedy at its most irreverent.

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

"Nothing is over 'til we say it is!"

LOL

Frnech

13. 28 Şubat 2007 21:41 tarihinde, Pavel_West demiş ki:

You've all forgotten the coolest monologue that was told about movies... Remember John Travolta in Swordfish. And than a remake made by Paul Oakenfold on that speech...
"You know what the problem of Hollywood is... they make shit, unbelievable, unremarkable shit..." Just listen up it again and you'll understand the depth of the cinematography. ;-D

14. 28 Şubat 2007 23:13 tarihinde, ChuffDaddy demiş ki:

So, Pherfer, what powerful female voice in film would you have added to the list?

I'll wait...

15. 28 Şubat 2007 23:46 tarihinde, Joel demiş ki:

What, no Alec Baldwin from 'Glengarry Glen Ross'?!

16. 28 Şubat 2007 23:41 tarihinde, Blackstar demiş ki:

I'm sorry to say, your number one is incorrect. What is considered the best monologue in cinema history is Robert Shaw's speech about his time on the U.S.S. Indianapolis. And while most of the selection here are in fact very high on the list, Robert's still is and always will be, number one.

17. 01 Mart 2007 4:45 tarihinde, Veracious demiş ki:

Bogart in Casablanca.

18. 01 Mart 2007 17:51 tarihinde, Lady Cooper demiş ki:

What about Charlie Chaplain in The Great Dictator?

19. 02 Mart 2007 16:01 tarihinde, james demiş ki:

Jimmy Stewart's impassioned fillibuster in Mr. Smith goes to Washington has to be #1. And it isn't even listed?

20. 02 Mart 2007 16:55 tarihinde, meirick demiş ki:

I maybe would add one of Brad Pitt's rants in Fight Club (You're not your f*ckin khakis) and perhaps Matthew McConaughey's closing argument in A Time to Kill.

21. 02 Mart 2007 16:30 tarihinde, Sean demiş ki:

The quote from Withnail and I is fantastic. That's because it's actually from Hamlet. I don't think you should include speeches that aren't original to their films even if they appear in great scenes. Just a thought.

22. 02 Mart 2007 16:09 tarihinde, durl demiş ki:

This goes back a ways, but the summation given by Orson Welles as the Clarence Darrow character in "Compulsion" was masterful. And all in one long take, as well!

23. 02 Mart 2007 17:03 tarihinde, Michael demiş ki:

Great List! However, for your consideration:
1. Alec Baldwin- Glengerry Glen Ross and Malice
2. George C Scott- Patton
3. Jimmy Stewart- Philadelphia Story
4. Orson Welles- The Third Man
5. Bette Davis- Dark Victory
6. Myrna Loy- Best Years of Our Lives
7. Paul Scofield- Man for All Seasons
8. Paul Newman- The Verdict
9. Ian Charleson- Chariots of Fire
10. Rutger Hauer- Blade Runner

24. 02 Mart 2007 17:34 tarihinde, SukiSuki demiş ki:

How about Gregory Peck's closing argument in To Kill A Mockingbird? I dare you not to get chills.

25. 02 Mart 2007 17:44 tarihinde, Jarshroy demiş ki:

Denzel Washington's summation towards the end of 'Philadelphia'.

26. 02 Mart 2007 17:56 tarihinde, John O'Hare demiş ki:

At the risk of being an uber-geek, how about Yoda's speech in The Empire Strikes Back?

"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? And well you should not. Fo my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings we are (pinches Luke's shoulder) not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you. Here, between you...me...the tree..the rock...everywhere! Yes, even between the land and the ship!'

Yoda then does some Jedi Mojo and floats Luke's ship from the water to the land. Pretty kick-ass for the little green guy.

27. 02 Mart 2007 18:18 tarihinde, candace demiş ki:

"Network" could've filled this list all by itself, but to represent that elusive, female voice, I would've selected Beatrice Straight's passionate reversal on William Holden when he tells her he's going to leave her. She couldn't have had more than 8 minutes of screen time, but that 1 scene won her the Oscar.

28. 02 Mart 2007 18:22 tarihinde, john allen demiş ki:

there is a great monologue from a relatively unknown movie "From Beyond", where a character talks about his sadomasochistic former colleague. "...they would eat fine foods, drink fine wines...but it always ended with screaming. And I would just lie there and listen to them."

29. 02 Mart 2007 19:11 tarihinde, Merwyn Grote demiş ki:

Any such list that doesn't include Spencer Tracy defining the meaning of love at the end of "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?" is utterly invalid. And what about Henry Fonda's "I'll be there" monologue from "The Grapes of Wrath?" And numerous passages from "All About Eve." "Waterfront" and "Network" are great choices, but many on this list seems to have been chosen because they have become so cliche.

And please, the lame-o gibberish in "Pulp Fiction" is just plain bad writing.

30. 02 Mart 2007 19:35 tarihinde, Falstaff demiş ki:

What about Al Pacino's speech at the boy's funeral from City Hall?

Gives every politico and civic-minded person I know a chill every time they hear it.

31. 02 Mart 2007 19:08 tarihinde, Boomer340 demiş ki:

It is a great list, to be sure, but there were several glaring omissions. First off, no Silent Bob's "Chasing Amy" Speech? Kevin Smith's genius may frequently go unnoticed by the general public, but he's still one of the greatest dialogue writers in Hollywood. Second, although Sam Jackson's "Ezekiel 25:17" was a given, what about Ving Rhames' "What Now?" scene. Who didn't want to watch him get medieval on Zed's ass "with a pair of pliers and a blowtorch"? Last and most disturbingly, there is not one single entry from the king of movie speeches, Al Pacino. No Scent of a Woman monolague, no "God is an absentee landlord" from Devil's Advocate, nothing from Glengarry Glen Ross. Most of all, no "Peace with Inches" speech from Any Given Sunday. I defy anyone to seriously listen to that one and not want to kick some ass by the end.

But maybe that's just me, who knows.

32. 02 Mart 2007 19:15 tarihinde, Sean demiş ki:

Morgan Freeman at the end of THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION. I can hear that 100 times, and it still chokes me up, everytime.

Also Jimmy Stewart in IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE. Too many there to choose just one, actually.

Looking at the various comments already, there should be a Part II to this list.

Oh yeah, how about Lee Strasberg's business speech from THE GODFATHER, PART II. Classic

33. 02 Mart 2007 19:11 tarihinde, Pete demiş ki:

Many of you are forgetting Ben Affleck's great monologue in "Boiler Room." YouTube it, trust me you won't regret it.

34. 02 Mart 2007 19:33 tarihinde, Chris demiş ki:

To add a third "Network" suggestion to your list: Ned Beatty's capitalism speech is my favorite.

I also love Jon Polito's opening monologue on character and ethics at the beginning of "Miller's Crossing."

35. 02 Mart 2007 20:24 tarihinde, jdeutch demiş ki:

Daniel Stern's speech to Ellen Barker in "DINER" is enough to make any movie/music geek weep in self-hating identification!

36. 02 Mart 2007 20:28 tarihinde, Amanda demiş ki:

How about Sean Astin's speech at the end of the second Lord of the Rings movie. The film came out a little after 9/11, and felt like the things he was saying were meant to touch people and try to help them cope. It is awesome and still makes me cry to this date.

37. 02 Mart 2007 20:31 tarihinde, David demiş ki:

Patton.

The movie that defined the opening speech.
What a shaft..

38. 02 Mart 2007 20:06 tarihinde, Laura Gharazeddine demiş ki:

Oh yes-I agree about the Morgan Freeman speech at the end of "Shawshank". Sigh.

Al Pacino has made many good speeches.

Someone mentioned Michelle Pfieffer-I love her little speech at the end of "Frankie and Johnny"-her "I'm afraid to do and afraid to not" speech.

How about the "Surprise is on our side" speech by Russell Crowe in "Master and Commander"? I'm not a Brit, but it makes me want to go out and fight for king and country!

What about any of Kevin Costner's speeches to Annette Benning in "Open Range"? (Or hers to him "I've got a big idea about us...I'll wait-but not forever"..)

No speeches from comedies? How about Jack Lemmon telling Tony Curtis "I hate you, with your car that's always clean..." and challenging him to another Great Race-in "The Great Race"?

Just scratching the surface...

39. 02 Mart 2007 20:08 tarihinde, Laura Gharazeddine demiş ki:

BTW, the "Luminous beings we are not this crude matter." in Yoda's speech is from Castaneda (if I recall correctly-which I'm not sure if I am...help!) but Richard Bach a variation of it too in "Illusions".

40. 02 Mart 2007 20:38 tarihinde, Max demiş ki:

How are there no women on this list? I believe Ellen Burstyn's monologue in "Requiem for a Dream" is one of the great monologues of contemporary cinema.

41. 02 Mart 2007 21:40 tarihinde, Lucian demiş ki:

How could you possibly forget these classics?:

1) Humphrey Bogart's farewell to Ingrid Bergman in "Casablanca"

2) Kevin Costner telling Susan Sarandon what he believes in in "Bull Durham".

3) Kenneth Brannagh on the battlefield in "Henry V"

42. 02 Mart 2007 22:56 tarihinde, john demiş ki:

Fight club has several, albeit short, incredible monolouges.

"You are not your f**king Khakis ..."

"In the world I envision, you will have one pair of leather clothes that will last you your entire life ..."

"We are the ones who cook your food, clean your homes, drive your cars ... do not f**k with us!"

43. 02 Mart 2007 22:46 tarihinde, AC demiş ki:

Where the hell is Quint's speech (Robert Shaw) for JAWS? This list is a fraud.

44. 02 Mart 2007 22:38 tarihinde, just sayin' demiş ki:

Billy Dee Williams, Brian's song....

"I love Brian Piccolo. And I'd like all of you to love him too. And so tonight, when you hit your knees, please ask God to love him..."

Every male over 35 eyes get more than a little misty at this one

45. 02 Mart 2007 23:14 tarihinde, takedacannoli demiş ki:

Gregory Peck in To Kill a Mockingbird, the courtroom speech. HELLO?

46. 03 Mart 2007 0:53 tarihinde, Wael demiş ki:

Jaws: Quints speech about the Indianopolis is THE GREATEST SPEECH OF ALL TIME!

47. 03 Mart 2007 0:57 tarihinde, Mitch demiş ki:

What about Tom Hanks in Saving Private Ryan not caring about Ryan but finding him if it gets him home, or Sidney Poitier talking to his dad about being a man, not just a black man, in Guess Who's Coming To Dinner?

48. 03 Mart 2007 0:35 tarihinde, lauren demiş ki:

A speech made by a WOMAN:

"Get out, go anywhere you want, go to a hotel, go live with her, and don't come back! Because, after 25 years of building a home and raising a family and all the senseless pain that we have inflicted on each other, I'm damned if I'm going to stand here and have you tell me you're in love with somebody else! Because this isn't a convention weekend with your secretary, is it? Or -- or some broad that you picked up after three belts of booze. This is your great winter romance, isn't it? Your last roar of passion before you settle into your emeritus years. Is that what's left for me? Is that my share? She gets the winter passion, and I get the dotage? What am I supposed to do? Am I supposed to sit at home knitting and purling while you slink back like some penitent drunk? I'm your wife, damn it! And, if you can't work up a winter passion for me, the least I require is respect and allegiance! (sobbing) I hurt! Don't you understand that? I hurt badly!" (Network)

49. 03 Mart 2007 1:49 tarihinde, S.Elliott demiş ki:

Does the Richard E. Grant speech actually count since he is quoting directly from Shakespeare's Hamlet?

50. 03 Mart 2007 2:20 tarihinde, joey demiş ki:

a speech by rosalind russel's character in 'his girl friday':

Now, get this, you double-crossing chimpanzee: There ain't going to be any interview and there ain't going to be any story. And that certified check of yours is leaving with me in twenty minutes. I wouldn't cover the burning of Rome for you if they were just lighting it up. If I ever lay my two eyes on you again, I'm gonna walk right up to you and hammer on that monkeyed skull of yours 'til it rings like a Chinese gong!

51. 03 Mart 2007 2:10 tarihinde, Mike demiş ki:

"What about Charlie Chaplain in The Great Dictator?"

I second that, Lady Cooper.

52. 03 Mart 2007 4:33 tarihinde, Anton demiş ki:

haven't heard one person mention al pacino in Any Given Sunday, im suprised, but maybe i missed it

53. 03 Mart 2007 5:10 tarihinde, El Bucko demiş ki:

What about the "Squeal like a pig" from Deliverance? Hello!

54. 03 Mart 2007 6:42 tarihinde, Yiannako demiş ki:

What about Russel Crowe in Gladiator:
"Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife, and I will have my vengence, in this life or the next."

55. 03 Mart 2007 8:11 tarihinde, AJ demiş ki:

How about Faye Dunaway from Mommie Dearest?!

56. 03 Mart 2007 8:20 tarihinde, Tim Cahill demiş ki:

Why hasn't anybody mentioned what is possibly the greatest speech in the history of celluloid?

Bill Pullman's INDEPENDENCE DAY speech.

You should do a list of the ten greatest film presidents.
Excluding REAL presidents like Nixon.

57. 03 Mart 2007 10:15 tarihinde, Josh Armstrong demiş ki:

Another good speech comes from Agent K in Men in Black:

"A person is smart. People are dumb. Everything they've ever 'known' has been proven to be wrong. A thousand years ago everybody knew as a fact, that the earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, they knew it was flat. Fifteen minutes ago, you knew we humans were alone on it. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."

58. 03 Mart 2007 12:56 tarihinde, william ott demiş ki:

A good list and 56 splendid suggestions ..
almost unlimited isn't it ? How 'bout Gene Hackman in 'The Replacements' ....

59. 03 Mart 2007 13:00 tarihinde, Faraz demiş ki:

Al Pacino in Scent of a Woman!!!! or Any Given Sunday. And Brando in The Godfather (I'm a reasonable man). And De Niro ripping Brando in Raging Bull. Baldwin in Glengarry. Brando in Apocalypse Now. God, so many!!!

60. 03 Mart 2007 13:16 tarihinde, flth demiş ki:

Rutger Hauer in Blade Runner is definitely the best - close second is Ed Norton talking to a mirror in the 25th Hour.

But Pulman's ID4-speech... HAHA.

61. 03 Mart 2007 13:36 tarihinde, Andrew P demiş ki:

You're all wrong, Michael got the closest. The answer is Orson Welles' speech in "The Third Man."

"Remember what the fellow said: In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love--they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Greatest speech in movie history.

62. 03 Mart 2007 15:56 tarihinde, faustulus demiş ki:

how has someone not mentioned Peter Fonda's speech as Tom Joad in Grapes of Wrath?

"I'll be all around in the dark - I'll be everywhere. Wherever you can look - wherever there's a fight, so hungry people can eat, I'll be there. Wherever there's a cop beatin' up a guy, I'll be there. I'll be in the way guys yell when they're mad. I'll be in the way kids laugh when they're hungry and they know supper's ready, and when the people are eatin' the stuff they raise and livin' in the houses they build - I'll be there, too. "

63. 03 Mart 2007 15:33 tarihinde, Sparky demiş ki:

But what about Bill Pullmans speach on Independance day.

Or luca brazi from the Godfather....."Don Corleone, I am honorored to be invited on the day of your daughters wedding...i hope their first child be a manly child"

or the end speach by tom hanks at the end of forest gump.

64. 03 Mart 2007 15:24 tarihinde, Dalif demiş ki:

Bill Pulman in ID4 was about the corniest and lamest movie speech ever. He doesn't command the power (imo) to pull off a speech like that without looking goofy.

Some fine suggestions in here. One that gives me the chills personally is Theoden King's speech to his Rohirrim at Pellenor Fields (sp). And the ensuing carnage just completes it.

Sam's speech at the end of TTT was good to.

Nice list all in all (and to everybody saying the poster is 'wrong'... get over yourselves. This is based on personal opinion.)

65. 03 Mart 2007 16:53 tarihinde, jermtech demiş ki:

There are also several good speeches in the movie "Parenthood." Jason Robards, Steve Martin, Mary Steenburgen, and Helen Shaw all have memorable scenes.

66. 03 Mart 2007 16:45 tarihinde, Darren demiş ki:

Kevin Costner's closing arguments to the jury in JFK may be the best monologue ever.

Don't forget Steven Seagal's soliloquoy in ON DEADLY GROUND.

67. 03 Mart 2007 17:31 tarihinde, chaswshro demiş ki:

I've got a few suggestions:

1. Gene Hackman in Hoosier's--"In my book we're winners" speech
2. Bullet Tooth Tony in Snatch--The Desert Eagle speech
3. Marlon Brando in the Godfather--His speech to the other family heads about bringing his son home.
4. For comedy's sake, you gotta love Belushi in Animal House. I laugh thinking about this speech.
5. Morgan Freeman in Shawshank at his last parole hearing.
6. Burgess Meredith in Rocky--"You're gonna crap thunder" speech
7. The Bride--Opening to Kill Bill 2

By the way, no way Bill Pullman gets any credit for ID4. Watch this movie more than twice and try to not start doing the Mystery Science 3000 routine with your friends.

68. 03 Mart 2007 17:41 tarihinde, skydood64 demiş ki:

What about Al Pacino again, but a different film. His court room speach in And Justice for All.

69. 03 Mart 2007 19:40 tarihinde, hhh demiş ki:

Wow, someone picked Costner and Seagal in one breath. Almost as bad as the guy who mentioned Ben Affleck.

A big second to Rutger Hauer's "Tears in Rain" monologue at the end of Blade Runner. The fact that he improvised that on the spot is mind boggling.

70. 03 Mart 2007 19:18 tarihinde, Elaine demiş ki:

What about Elizabeth Taylor in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? Now that is a monlouge. And voice overs don't count as monolouges!

71. 03 Mart 2007 21:02 tarihinde, asdfqwer demiş ki:

what about the speech at the end of Mrs. Miniver?

"Its closing lines were so powerful to President Franklin Roosevelt, that he ordered them printed on millions of leaflets and dropped over Nazi-occupied Europe."

how's that for a great speech?

72. 03 Mart 2007 22:29 tarihinde, Ryan demiş ki:

Quint's Speech in JAWS needs to be added to this list...the rest of the list is good but cmon

73. 03 Mart 2007 22:18 tarihinde, Gerard demiş ki:

one of my personal favs is Dennis Hoppers speech to christopher walken in True Romnce

74. 03 Mart 2007 23:07 tarihinde, spinodal demiş ki:

Hugo Weaving as Agent Smith in Matrix:

"I’d like to share with you a revelation I’ve had, during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you aren’t actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with its surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply, and multiply until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You are a plague, and we... are the cure."

75. 03 Mart 2007 23:36 tarihinde, arturo gonzales demiş ki:

in my opinion one of the best monologues I `ve ever seen is the one of Blade runner.
It goes beyond the stablized!!!

76. 04 Mart 2007 2:54 tarihinde, Andrew demiş ki:

Two that haven't been mentioned yet that deserve serious consideration:

Anthony Hopkins- Silence of the Lambs
"...I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti"- who hasn't tried to tried to do that monologue themselves- but never as well as Hopkins delivers it in the film.

Sean Connery- The Untouchables
"...he send one of yours to the hospital; you send one of his to the morgue! That's the Chicago way; that's how you get Capone."

And just for fun, Bruce Campbell needs an honourable mention, possibly his "Boomstick" speech from Army of Darkness, or maybe something from Bubba-Ho-Tep

77. 04 Mart 2007 4:20 tarihinde, scott bender demiş ki:

So there are some good ones and some that could of been replaced, we all agree to disagree BUT for your personal favorite of Good Will Hunting, c'mon now, it is my favorite movie but how could you jeapordize the monologue by putting the one where Will explains why not to take the job, everyone knows the best monologue in that film is done by Robin Williams at the park, "I could ask you about love, and you could reverse shakespear, sonnets, hell maybe you've even been laid a few times, but you wouldnt know what its like to have someone who can make you truly vulnerable...You think I could know everything about you because I read Oliver Twist"

78. 04 Mart 2007 5:51 tarihinde, Eli demiş ki:

The With Nail and I, you need to give it to the proper source... HAMLET, from William Shakespeare, Act 2 Scene 2.

which goes to show that this list is just an uneducated guess, with the emphasis on uneducated.

79. 04 Mart 2007 6:11 tarihinde, Murray_mg demiş ki:

just FYI: listen to ID4's Bill Pullman speech. It is a rehash of the St. Crispians speech from Henry V. Just one of the things that made me like ID4 so much, that not one of the speeches or plot devices was not borrowed, stolen, or lovingly paraphrased from somewhere else. It didn't have an original ANYTHING, yet they pulled off a thoroughly entertaining film.

Hmm..... does anyone remember Richard Benjamin's "ubby-dubby" speech about Willie Mays and the MVP award from "The Steagle"? It started out: "Yobu oband mobee hobave bobeen cobonned. Write! Scrobewed, bobilked, oband.........." I had to watch it ten times to get the gist of it, but it was a great performance.

80. 04 Mart 2007 12:51 tarihinde, Constantinosgr demiş ki:

I can recall a great speech by Matthew McConaughey from the movie A TIME TO KILL

81. 04 Mart 2007 13:55 tarihinde, erndog demiş ki:

if you;re going to mention Pulp Fiction, how can you overlook Walken, now that's a speech. easily matching Jackson's

82. 04 Mart 2007 16:57 tarihinde, Damian demiş ki:

I dont know if this has been commented already.... but Jerry Mcguire .... Cuba Gooding Jnr's "Show me the money" speech... thats just good stuff right there.

83. 04 Mart 2007 16:28 tarihinde, Julia demiş ki:

Yes, yes!!! When you closed the list with Gibson I was very disappointed - I swear I even thought "Wow, has he even seen GWH???" - and the a second later you said Matt's NSA speech was you personal fave! Awesome, it's my personal fave too! Brilliant piece of writing and brilliant delivery by Matt...actually, the whole movie is brilliant, I can't believe how that piece of crap Titanic got most of its awards way back then! :-)

The rest of the list is very good also, by the way, though there's a couple obvious choices...I mean, yeah, Eastwood and Duvall and Nicholson had to be there, but I don't think I'd have used Gibson's, for example (might be because I don't really like Braveheart though! LOL).

84. 04 Mart 2007 17:08 tarihinde, manuel demiş ki:

vivien leigh - Gone with the wind.

As God is my witness.

85. 04 Mart 2007 18:22 tarihinde, trenton doyle hancock demiş ki:

I'm a little disappointed that nobody has mentioned Harry Dean Stanton's speech in "Paris, Texas". Also high on my list is Brando's(Jor-El's) address to Superman in "Superman the Movie".

"Your name is Kal-El. You are the only surviver of the planet Krypton. Even though you have been raised as a human, you are not one of them. You have great powers, only some of which you have as yet discovered. Come with me now my son as we break through the bonds of your Earthly confinement, travelling through time and space....."

86. 04 Mart 2007 18:36 tarihinde, trenton doyle hancock demiş ki:

Oh, I almost forgot Joseph Cotten's haunting dinner table speech about women in Hitchcock's "Shadow of a Doubt".

87. 04 Mart 2007 19:02 tarihinde, jimbo demiş ki:

Awful chjoices. Taste is up your ass!

88. 05 Mart 2007 1:27 tarihinde, silverin demiş ki:

What about Cary Elwes to-the-pain speech in The Princess Bride?

And Mandy Patinkin says his "hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die" to The Six-Fingered Man so many times it really should count as a speech.

89. 05 Mart 2007 2:04 tarihinde, ben donahue demiş ki:

What about Vivien Leigh in GONE WITH THE WIND

90. 05 Mart 2007 2:52 tarihinde, ben donahue demiş ki:

I have to say Gregory Peck's speech in TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD!

91. 05 Mart 2007 2:02 tarihinde, ben donahue demiş ki:

Ok, epiphany moment: When Glenne Headly realizes her son is deaf in MR HOLLAND'S OPUS

92. 05 Mart 2007 2:12 tarihinde, Shepcat demiş ki:

Christopher Walken as Capt. Koons, "The Gold Watch," in Pulp Fiction.

Steve Martin's "All of life's riddles are answered in the movies" monologue in Grand Canyon.

Peter Sellers as President Muffley, in a one-sided phone call with Soviet premier Dimitri Kisov in Dr. Strangelove.

And by all means, yes, where the hell is Quint's U.S.S. Indianapolis monologue from Jaws?

93. 05 Mart 2007 5:36 tarihinde, hemendez demiş ki:

al pacino, scent of a woman, speech at the end?

94. 05 Mart 2007 5:54 tarihinde, Natalie demiş ki:

Some great female monologues include: Sally Field in "Steel Magnolias" after the funeral or, better yet, Whoopi Goldberg in "The Color Purple" when she finally stands up to Mister, Marisa Tomei and her biological clock in "My Cousin Vinny", Cher in "Moonstruck" - the wolf speech or the bad luck speech. *Nicholas Cage has a great one, too, with his "bread is life" speech.

95. 05 Mart 2007 6:13 tarihinde, Patrick demiş ki:

The list is pretty good but there is one gaping omission. How in the name of God could you not include Al Pacino's Any Given sunday 'Inches' speech?

96. 05 Mart 2007 6:37 tarihinde, Dylan S. demiş ki:

There are a number of great suggestions on this list - notably Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, The Empire Stikes Back, Bull Durham and JFK.

A few that haven't been mentioned yet:

The closing monologue of Annie Hall ("Most of us need the eggs.")

Katherine Hepburn blowing off her assisting in Guess Who's Coming to Dinner ("... and get - permanently - lost."

The opening monologue of Sabrina ("... this was as close to heaven as one could get on Long Island.")

Closing monologue of Raging Bull ("I remember those cheers, they still ring in my ears...")

P.S. I'm all about the argument for femaie voices on the list, but unfortunately I must point out that in most cases these monologues were first written by men. :-/

97. 05 Mart 2007 6:32 tarihinde, Uncle Mike demiş ki:

Ugh, I can't believe Jack Nicholson's three minutes of scenery-chewing in "A Few Good Men" made this list. It's got to be the most overrated performance in film history. Just a lot of yelling, really. The only thing that made Nicholson's performance seem subtle was the fact that he was opposite Tom Cruise, who somehow managed an even hammier performance.

I agree with other posters that Robert Shaw's great speech from "Jaws" should have been on this list. I would also add Orson Welle's final argument to the jury in "Compulsion".

98. 05 Mart 2007 6:59 tarihinde, Josh Sawyer demiş ki:

I think people need to have the difference between good line and good speech explained.

99. 05 Mart 2007 7:56 tarihinde, Vince demiş ki:

Josh Sawyer is right. One good line does not a monologue make.

This list, though, is pretty biased to men and violence. Not a judgment, just an observation. If this is going to be one person's opinion, though, the title of the article should start with "My ..."

As far as the suggestions, Kevin Costner is a subpart actor who got to deliver when the greatest monologues of the 80's in Bull Durham. I think Susan Sarandon had one in their herself.

How could anyone (as one poster didn't) forget Whoopi Goldberg stay silent throughout the entire dinner and finally bust out one of the greatest written and performed monologues of the 80's?

"Silence of the Lambs." Hopkins and Foster both deserve mention here with each of their respective assessments of one another (and the reaction in Hopkins that it illicited).

100. 05 Mart 2007 8:30 tarihinde, JS demiş ki:

Okay, monologue BY A WOMAN (Glenn Close in Dangerous Liaisons):

Marquise de Merteuil: When I came out into society I was 15. I already knew then that the role I was condemned to, namely to keep quiet and do what I was told, gave me the perfect opportunity to listen and observe. Not to what people told me, which naturally was of no interest to me, but to whatever it was they were trying to hide. I practiced detachment. I learn how to look cheerful while under the table I stuck a fork onto the back of my hand. I became a virtuoso of deceit. I consulted the strictest moralists to learn how to appear, philosophers to find out what to think, and novelists to see what I could get away with, and in the end it all came down to one wonderfully simple principle: win or die.

and another one by Glenn Close from the same movie:

Marquise de Merteuil: Well I had no choice, did I? I'm a woman. Women are obliged to be far more skillful than men. You can ruin our reputation and our life with a few well-chosen words. So of course I had to invent not only myself but ways of escape no one has every thought of before. And I've succeeded because I've always known I was born to dominate your sex and avenge my own.

There!

101. 05 Mart 2007 9:31 tarihinde, Kyrkos demiş ki:

-Robert De Niro, Taxi Driver

"...you talking to me?!?!?"

-Julia Roberts, Notting Hill

"...I am just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her."

102. 05 Mart 2007 11:51 tarihinde, CHRIS demiş ki:

The Jack Nicholson speech in "A Few Good Men" is, like many of the speeches in the film, over-written and over-acted. It's just way too theatrical. In much the same way as Demi Moore's berating of Tom Cruise on the baseball field earlier, the actors give the impression the speech has been pre-prepared and rehearsed, when it is meant to be spontaneous.

103. 05 Mart 2007 12:48 tarihinde, Jenson demiş ki:

Anthony Hopkins in Amistad

104. 05 Mart 2007 13:55 tarihinde, Marko demiş ki:

Clint Eastwood (and Will Sampson), Outlaw Josey Wales:

Ten Bears: These things you say we will have, we already have.
Josey Wales: That's true. I ain't promising you nothing extra. I'm just giving you life and you're giving me life. And I'm saying that men can live together without butchering one another.
Ten Bears: It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life.

105. 05 Mart 2007 15:49 tarihinde, eceaser demiş ki:

Just a thought people, the list is "great speeches" not necessarily great monolouge or dialouge or lines from movies. Having said that, only "Wall Street" and Braveheart would qualify. The Henry V speech has to be one of the greatest of all time by virtue of the "screenwriter" William Shakesphere.

106. 06 Mart 2007 0:04 tarihinde, david joseph demiş ki:

Best line, Rutger Hauer(Blade Runner):

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

Best speech, Ned Beatty(Network):

"It is the international system of currency which determines the vitality of life on this planet. THAT is the natural order of things today. THAT is the atomic and subatomic and galactic structure of things today. And YOU have meddled with the primal forces of nature. And YOU WILL ATONE. Am I getting through to you, Mr. Beale? You get up on your little 21-inch screen and howl about America, and democracy. There is no America; there is no democracy. There is only IBM, and ITT, and AT&T, and DuPont, Dow, Union Carbide, and Exxon. Those are the nations of the world today... You have meddled with the primal forces of nature, Mr. Beale, and I won't have it. Is that clear? You think you've merely stopped a business deal? That is not the case. The Arabs have taken billions of dollars out of this country, and now they must put it back. It is ebb and flow, tidal gravity. It is ecological balance. You are an old man who thinks in terms of nations and peoples. There are no nations; there are no peoples. There are no Russians. There are no Arabs. There are no third worlds. There is no West. There is only one holistic system of systems; one vast, interwoven, interacting, multivaried, multinational dominion of dollars... The world is a business, Mr. Beale; it has been since man crawled out of the slime. Our children will live, Mr. Beale, to see that perfect world in which there's no war or famine, oppression or brutality - one vast and ecumenical holding company, for whom all men will work to serve a common profit, in which all men will hold a share of stock - all necessities provided, all anxieties tranquilized, all boredom amused."

107. 06 Mart 2007 0:51 tarihinde, kav demiş ki:

Can't believe no-one has metioned 'Team America' Now there's a film full of awe inspiring monologues...only joking...Moreover, I have to agree with the Orson Wells, (Third Man), Robert Shaw (Jaws) and Morgan Freeman (Shawshank). However. Dannys paranoid speech in Withnail & I would be in my top ten (perhaps because I live in the UK).... I don't advise a haircut, man. All hairdressers are in the employment of the government. Hairs are your aerials. They pick up signals from the cosmos, and transmit them directly into the brain. This is the reason bald-headed men are uptight.

108. 09 Mart 2007 12:25 tarihinde, justin demiş ki:

Al Pacinos inspirational speech in any given sunday

109. 11 Mart 2007 0:10 tarihinde, ivan demiş ki:

No "and they produced...the cuckoo clock"? Get a regular job. You're not the man for this one. American films after 1980 don't even come close to measuring up to films made before that. Not even CLOSE, because prancing narcissistic American directors have all lost the ability to make truthful sentiments play believably. In general, they are pampered bourgeoise elites in baseball hats - juvenile technicians of cliche - and it shows in their inconsequential work. American cinema ended with the arrival of the baseball hat people in the '80s. The scenes you've listed are mostly wanna-be tough-guy wank-offs by extremely mediocre filmmakers and sophomorically heavy-handed writers, when compared to the whole history of the cinema. Pathetic & embarrassing, like contemporary American cinema in general.

110. 12 Mart 2007 22:31 tarihinde, Jørgen demiş ki:

I surely will recommend the speech in the end of Charlie Chaplin's ''The Dictator''. It is great!

111. 14 Mart 2007 16:37 tarihinde, Froggy demiş ki:

How about:

AL Pacino "And Justice for All" Out of order tirade in the courtroom

Steve Bucsemi (spelling?) "Resevoir Dogs" Tippin speech

" " "Fargo" Silence speech, two can play that game

Christian Slatter in "True Romance" just before the fight with Drexel " I'm not sitting down cause I ain't staying, I ain't eating because I'm not hungry, ......."

112. 15 Mart 2007 6:40 tarihinde, Dennis demiş ki:

not to take anything away from the list but just to throw a couple others out there:

Bill Murray's eulogy essentially for Jim Belushi in The Razor's Edge

James Dean's fight with his father from Rebel Without A Cause

Frances McDormant's monologue at the end of Fargo

113. 18 Mart 2007 9:20 tarihinde, joe mama demiş ki:

it's "iniquities" with an 'i'. maybe pick up a book and stop watching so many movies, eh?

114. 21 Mart 2007 21:49 tarihinde, jd demiş ki:

What about Sterling Hayden's speech in Dr. Strangelove: "(Clemenceau) said war was too important to be left to the generals. When he said that, 50 years ago, he might have been right. But today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

That's right up there with Slim Pickens' speech in the same movie:
"Well, boys, I reckon this is it - nuclear combat toe to toe with the Roosskies. Now look, boys, I ain't much of a hand at makin' speeches, but I got a pretty fair idea that something doggone important is goin' on back there. And I got a fair idea the kinda personal emotions that some of you fellas may be thinkin'. Heck, I reckon you wouldn't even be human bein's if you didn't have some pretty strong personal feelin's about nuclear combat. I want you to remember one thing, the folks back home is a-countin' on you and by golly, we ain't about to let 'em down. I tell you something else, if this thing turns out to be half as important as I figure it just might be, I'd say that you're all in line for some important promotions and personal citations when this thing's over with. That goes for ever' last one of you regardless of your race, color or your creed. Now let's get this thing on the hump - we got some flyin' to do."

And lastly, no list would be complete without Bill Murray's incomparable speech in Caddyshack:
"So I jump ship in Hong Kong and make my way over to Tibet, and I get on as a looper at a course over in the Himalayas. A looper, you know, a caddy, a looper, a jock. So, I tell them I'm a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? The Dalai Lama, himself. Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald... striking. So, I'm on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one - big hitter, the Lama - long, into a ten-thousand foot crevasse, right at the base of this glacier. Do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga... gunga, gunga-galunga. So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. "

115. 22 Mart 2007 4:21 tarihinde, Matt demiş ki:

Where is Kenneth Branaugh's St. Crispin's Day speech from Henry V?

116. 22 Mart 2007 14:04 tarihinde, opus demiş ki:

Sean Connery in OUTLAND...

"They sent me here to this pile of shit because they think I belong here. I've got to find out if they're right. There's a whole machine that works because everybody does what they're supposed to. I found out I was supposed to be something I didn't like. That's what's in the program. That's my rotten little part in the rotten machine. Well, I don't like it. So I'm going to find out if they're right. "

Or a great line from the Hollywood classic, HOLLYWOOD CHAINSAW HOOKERS....

"I'd stumbled into the middle of an evil, insidious cult of chainsaw worshipping maniacs. I had to wonder if we'd let our religious freedom go too far in this country, or maybe our immigration laws were just too lax. "

117. 22 Mart 2007 22:04 tarihinde, Andre demiş ki:

REREAD #16. move it to the top of the list.

That is the single best mono. Period

118. 23 Mart 2007 14:31 tarihinde, Matthew demiş ki:

ALEC BALDWIN'S 8 MINUTE OF GREATNESS:

119. 30 Mart 2007 3:34 tarihinde, Elle demiş ki:

what about the gushy mushy girls? i hate to admit it but i am one of them and i did not think that they were the greatest movie quotes or speeches or whatever. what about serendipity where sara explains that if they were meant to be together then fate would bring them together. or how about city of angels when he gave up being an angel for her or at the end when he felt reborn again just to be in the beautiful coastal water which we all know is a sign of purification? broaden your horizons and by the way greatest movie quotes my ass.

120. 12 Nisan 2007 8:08 tarihinde, Arvind demiş ki:

Good Will Hunting: now i look at it, it looks like he is reading it from a paper or something in front of him.

121. 20 Nisan 2007 21:31 tarihinde, ashley demiş ki:

you fucking suck balls

122. 29 Nisan 2007 12:27 tarihinde, felix demiş ki:

really great lines...but i think al pacino's outburst in the court room in'' the merchant of venice'' and ''bonasera '' painful outcry to marlon brando at d beginnin of ''the Godfather 1'' should have been included